The Braves are in a hitting slump to start the season. Though some bats have started to come alive I wanted to point out some good and bad performances in some areas that may show how the future will go for some a few players. I will forgo mentioning that Chipper is 100% kicking ass (good), that he is hurt (bad), and that Andruw Jones is really struggling right now (bad).
- Adam LaRoche: 2004 walk-rate = 7%, 2005 walk-rate = 14%
- Marcus Giles : 2004 Isolated Power = .130, 2005= Isolated Power= .170
- Johnny Estrada: 2004 BB/K = .59, 2005 BB/K = 1
- Rafael Furcal: 2004 walk-rate = 9.3%, 2005 walk-rate = 5.3%
- Rafael Furcal: 2004 Pitches/PA= 3.97 , 2005 Pitches/PA= 3.55
- Brian Jordan: 2004 Isolated Power = .142, 2005= Isolated Power= .070
- Raul Mondesi: 2003 walk-rate = 9.6%, 2005 walk-rate = 2.7%
- Raul Mondesi: 2003 BB/K = .58, 2005 BB/K = .11
I am particularly excited about Adam LaRoche. That .329 OBP to go with his .200 AVG makes me smile. He won’t be near the Mendoza line much longer. I am particularly bummed with Furcal. Bunts can be effective in spots, but he’s trying to do it way too much. I think his overall hitting is suffering, because he is not getting his at-bats. To me, speedster bunting should be like a basketball offense. You pound it inside to free up the jump shooters. Furcal needs to get his swing going to force the fielders back so he can get a bunt down when he needs to be on base. Plus, maybe he’d have the opportunity to get a walk here and there.