The Baseball Economist

My book, The Baseball Economist: The Real Game Exposed, is now available for pre-order from Amazon.com.

The Baseball Economist cover

You’ll have to wait until March for it to ship, and I’m still putting the final touches on the manuscript. This reminds me of the scene in Spaceballs, where they discuss that the video comes out before the movie is finished. Here’s a sample of issues discussed:

Why are there more hit batters in the AL?
What happened to the left-handed catcher?
Steroids
What are the best/worst managed organizations in baseball?
Putting a dollar value on every player in MLB
How good is Leo Mazzone? (an updated analysis)
Big cities vs. small cities
Scouts vs. stat-heads
Is MLB a Monopoly?

The Dutton catalog is supposed to be out soon. I’ll pass along further updates as I get them. Writing the book as been lots of fun, and I look forward to seeing it in print.

8 Responses “The Baseball Economist”

1. Matt says:

I love the cover. Can’t wait to read the book. Although I wish you wouldn’t have shown us this 8 months before it’s available. It’s like seeing a really kick-ass preview in the movie theatre and then finding out it doesn’t hit big screens until Summer ’08.

2. Kyle S says:

That sounds great, JC – I also love the cover and can’t wait to read it. Are you all set for content, or is there still room for new topics?

3. Frank says:

I like the cover except for the dollar sign on the jersey. It plays into the baloney that “economics is all about money.” As your work so clearly demonstrates, economics is much more broadly applicable.

4. Rich Lederer says:

Congrats, JC. Nice to see the actual cover. Pretty exciting stuff. Can’t wait to see the final version. Best of luck.

5. John Beamer says:

JC,

I love you writing and can’t wait for this book. I know you can’t judge a book by its cover but the cover does look A-1!

John

6. Kenny says:

Congrats!

7. patry says:

I’m watching for that Dutton Catalog, too. (My book comes out in February.)

Wishing you the best!

8. Looking forward to it JC! I’ll be sure to pick up a copy once it’s in stores (I work in a bookstore, so now I don’t pre-order anything)