Atlanta Braves 2006 Player Values

Here are player values for the Atlanta Braves listed The Baseball Economist. The book includes values for every player on every team in 2005 and 2006.

Atlanta Braves (2006)

Hitters		Value (in millions)
Chipper Jones		$11.64
Martin Prado		$0.45
Brian Jordan		$0.39
Todd Pratt		$0.39
Daryle Ward		$0.30
Brayan Pena		$0.27
Tony Pena		$0.08

Pitchers		Value (in millions)
John Smoltz		$16.61
Phil Stockman		$0.36
Travis Smith		$0.32
Jason Shiell		$0.27
Anthony Lerew		$0.16
Wayne Franklin		$0.14
Blaine Boyer		$0.04

8 Responses “Atlanta Braves 2006 Player Values”

1. Erik says:

I really don’t get how these are calculated, or how they have any bearing on reality.

There’s no way Jorge Sosa’s performance last year was worth nearly $3M. Same with John Thomson. I don’t think paying him $2M per win is really worth it.

The ones for position players seem much more in line, however.

Well, they’re not just random numbers that I pulled out of my butt. These are objective values are based on how much revenue (measured by Forbes) players generate for their play on the field. The complete description of the method is available in my book.

Baseball players (even the not-so-good players) make a lot of money because their skills are scarce. Baseball teams make a lot of money and therefore they are willing to pay high salaries to players who help them win, and earn even more. While Jorge Sosa did many things poorly in 2006, he did eat some valuable innings that would have otherwise been pitched by worse options like Travis Smith and Jason Shiell. That has a good bit of value. And it explains why some other not-so-great pitchers earned big free agent deals this offseason. See here for further explanation.

3. Kyle S says:

Up early, JC?

Amazing that Hudson, poorly as he pitched last year, is still up that high.

I’m looking forward to meeting you tonight at the signing. Unless I have time to go home and change first, I’ll be rocking my work clothes – dark blue suit, pink shirt, pink and blue striped tie, black plastic frame eyeglasses.

Take care.

4. Cliff Harpe says:

The one thing that strikes me is how few players were paid more than their projected value at all, let alone by any large margin. Hampton is probably the only “bad contract” (based on the injury, but net of insurance, maybe not so bad).

The excess value of the “Baby Braves” is phenomenal.

JC, what is your feel or estimate that Time Warner really got that kind of value (revenue) and is just not putting it back in the club?

Kyle,

I look forward to finally talking face-to-face. :-)

Cliff,

The estimated dollar values are actually gross marginal revenue product (MRP) measures that do not account for the costs of having the player on the team. So, that most players make a little less than these numbers is not surprising. Although, it’s interesting that pitchers make less of there gross MRPs than hitters do.

On TW, I really can’t say. I’ll be curious to see what Forbes says about the Braves in their upcoming Business of Baseball report.

6. tangotiger says:

I think ignoring a player’s fielding contribution would be problematic. Did you consider asking MGL, BP, or others with fielding stats for their use?

7. tangotiger says:

I’m looking at your top 4 guys. It looks like you are not considering position. I can’t see how McCann and Laroche can even be close otherwise. Are the player values only based on their hitting, disregards fielding and position?

For position players the values are based solely on offense.