Things That Bother Me

Here is a list of things I’ve been wanting to blog about for a while, but don’t seem worthy of a full post. As the title of this post indicates, these are all things that bother me.

Triple Crown Stats on TV: Why are these the only stats listed for hitters when I watch a baseball game? Is it too much to include OBP and SLG? They contain more important information than the typical statistics. Even more annoying is when announcers refer to hitters as being good and bad based just on AVG. Just last night, I heard Joe Simpson refer to Brayan Pena— a .300 hitter in the minor leagues whose AVG ≈ OBP ≈ SLG—as a good hitter with poor defense. It’s inexcusable. You don’t have to be a stat-head to get this either.

Home Runs Allowed on TV: Why can’t you tell me the homers allowed by a pitcher? It’s one more line that contains important information. I don’t care about pitcher “wins” and “losses” in general, but it’s really unnecessary to waste this line on relievers.

No PIP in Tivo: I have a DVR with two tuners and a television with two tuners with the picture in picture (PIP) feature. Who designed this thing so I can’t watch two programs at once? Oh, I can record these things to watch later, that’s the answer? Yeah, like I’ve got the time to watch two baseball/football games back to back.

No Heroes Reruns or DVD This Summer: I finally jumped on the Heroes bandwagon last spring. I thought I’d catch up with reruns over the summer. Yet, after the season finale it disappeared. I would have been happy to have purchased the DVD set of the first season to watch over the summer. But no, the DVDs and reruns come only after summer is over, and any free time I had is gone.

The Cooper Mini: This car offends me.

13 Responses “Things That Bother Me”

1. Sean Forman says:

Hey how did you find out about our minor league stats?

It was easy!

I saw the link on a B-R page while playing around with splits.

I’m trying to pretend that I didn’t see it, because I have a lot of work that I should be doing. :-)

3. Sean Forman says:

I’m actually launching them right now.

4. John W says:

I’m on the Heroes bandwagon as well, and I feel like I’m going to be spending my whole September watching last year’s TV shows to catch up. I would love to see the previous season’s shows out in July.

5. M. Thomason says:

Holy smokes. Sean, you rock.

6. Lee says:

About Triple Crown Stats: I totally agree, for the Sox broadcasts on NESN they’ve actually had OBP in the line graphic for a while, so that’s pretty sweet.

I hate the Mini Cooper so much.

7. CT says:

the only time a mini cooper is acceptable:

jason bourne driving it through paris f-ing things up

8. Andrew says:

Dish Network’s DVR supposedly allows you to use PIP but I have not been able to figure it out.

With the announcing/tv annoyances, maybe someone will come up with online sabermetric broadcasts, where say Ken Tremendous and Paul Depodesta (just two names off the top of my head) could give commentary that is relative to all of the research done up to the 21st century. Also cursing could be integrated in this (I would love to hear Skip or Pete drop an f-bomb when JoJo or Buddy gives up a home run).

9. Sal Paradise says:

They only have OBP in the little box for the first time up. Then we revert to batting average and previous times at bats / batter vs. pitcher stats (he’s 10-17 with two homers against this pitcher Jerry, he must have him figured out).

Infinitely better than the Yankees announcers though. There’s a special place reserved in Hell for the Japanese executives who decided to broadcast Sox-Yankees games with the Yankees announcers.

The Mariners announcers sound like they’re ready to leap from the booth to their death every game — no passion or will to watch their team win.

But sweet Jesus the Yankees announcers are God awful.

10. Hill says:

Heroes just came out on DVD and you can watch all the episodes online which is a pretty unfortunate way to have to watch reruns.

11. realbbbb says:

“The Cooper Mini: This car offends me.”

Totally agree..the worst car out there besides the new VW beetle.

12. Jon says:

The people who hate Minis usually have never driven one.

13. Jinwoo says:

Also…
    Every TV broadcast seems to do this. Runner on second, single to the outfield. The fielder comes up throwing, one of the most exciting plays in the game. Instead of showing the throw, the station cuts to a close up of the runner rounding third, and then cuts back just in time to see the throw reach the catcher. It is virtually impossible to gauge outfield arms on TV because of this senseless production decision. Please, pull the camera out, let us see Vlad, Ichiro and others cut loose with their cannon arms.