Go Terriers!

Excuse me while I take a moment to talk about college football. My alma mater’s football team, the Wofford College Terriers, has advanced to the second round of the NCAA FCS (I-AA) Playoffs after defeating the third-seeded and previously undefeated Montana Grizzlies. Despite winning the Southern Conference and beating Appalachian State—yes, the same Appalachian State that upset Michigan—the Terriers didn’t even get a mention on the national playoff selection show. And Wofford is no stranger to playoff success. In 2003, Wofford advanced to the semi-finals only to lose to the eventual champion Delaware.

The T-Dogs will be hosting the Richmond Spiders this upcoming Saturday. I’m hoping for a trip to Chattanooga for the championship game.

Update: Video highlights! Check out the option attack of Coach Ayers.

7 Responses “Go Terriers!”

1. Matt Carson says:

Well, my Alma Mater beat your Alma Mater…Go Elon Phoenix! But lost to Appalachian. Can’t win ‘em all.

2. Matt Carson says:

I also forgot to mention that Elon won the Southern Conference in Baseball last year. If I am not mistaken they had a first baseman sign with the Nationals. I hope that they can repeat this year going further in the playoffs for the College World Series.

3. Greg Fanoe says:

Heh, my alma mater is the University of Richmond, so I guess we’ll see who emerges victorious. As far as I know, Richmond has never advanced past the second round of the playoffs.

4. Dave says:

Matt – My alma mater (Carson-Newman) chased yours out of the South Atlantic Conference and into divsion I. CNC only trailed for 26 seconds all season but got no bid to the playoffs. How can the #11 team nationally not be invited to a 24 team playoff? Maybe the sport formerly known as Division I-A has it right…just hose everyone but two teams.

5. Rick says:

Matt, not calling you a liar, but Wofford actually won the SoCon in baseball in 2007.

6. Edward says:

An early Christmas present for Wofford would be not having to run into the Cuff-Flacco buzzsaw in the finals. The terriers lost their bite against QB Andy Hall and TB Germaine Bennett. FB Antawn Jenkins was no slouch, either. Omar Cuff and Joe Flacco are also better pro prospects than Hall and Bennett were. Cuff’s skill set is eerily similar to some former CAA running back, with the initials B.W., currently playing for the Eagles. Even Rocky couldn’t catch a fightin’ blue hen. GO UD!!

7. Matt Carson says:

Rick-
    You are right…I was mixing up 2007 and 2006. Elon won the SoCon in 2006.