Three Days in Double-A

I recently heard from someone who is tired of my Jeff Francoeur posts. Well, because it’s basically been Frenchy week at Sabernomics, I couldn’t resist one more post.

3 Days in AA = 123K
Francoeur’s ninth-inning at-bat versus San Diego last night.

Brought to you courtesy of Phil Wellman, who apparently teaches his players to succeed in the Braves organization through means other than hitting.

Addendum: I’ve also been reading comments that Jeff looks like he’s back to being his old self after his three days in Mississippi. Let’s see.

Pre-Demotion: .234/.287/.374/.661
Post-Promotion: .238/.238/.381/.619

I agree; however, I believe people claiming that he is back to his old self are referring to another small sample of his career. Let’s face it folks, Jeff is who he is.

13 Responses “Three Days in Double-A”

1. Ken Houghton says:

I’m not tired of the Frenchy posts, but I tend to view them as something that will go into someone’s doctoral thesis thirty years from now: “Lack of Talent Not a Consideration: the Hoopla around Wayne Garrett, Hubie Brooks, and Jeff Francoeur.”

Then again, that probably insults Garrett, and maybe even Brooks.

2. Frank says:

The strikeout on an eye high pitch in the 9th inning of last night’s game suggests it’s time for a return visit to Wellman. Of course, he never should have been recalled after only 3 days. Sigh.

3. Mac says:

PREDICTION: Francoeur winds up the year hitting an empty .250, and the Braves say that he played well in the second half and there’s nothing to be concerned about.

4. Devon Young says:

You know, early in the season, I noticed a lot of bad calls on balls & strikes. The past month, I’ve noticed a lot of players striking out by swinging at pitches that are clearly not strikes… pitches way up. I’m wondering now, if maybe some of these guys are confused where the strike zone is, after a rash of bad calls. Maybe it’s just all in my head, ’cause obviously a lot of players are still hitting fine.

5. David says:

I remember during an argument at a Richmond game, Diamond Duck did the grenade crawl on top of the home dugout, trying to encourage the manager.

Is that the new Tomohawk Chop?

6. Rick Hagauer says:

Seriously, its not a frenchy problem its a Brave problem, being shutout in 3 of 4 and no-hit for a majority of the games. What the hell is TP doing, lets make contact and play small ball if it will get us a run or 2

7. Greyson says:

That at-bat shows exactly why Jeff’s production has fallen off… The first pitch is pretty near perfect, you can’t blame him for that one, but the second pitch looks like it should’ve been served into right field for an easy hit. Once he’s down 0-2 he’s going to panic and swing at pitch 3.

Again though, we don’t need to panic and start declaring his career over. Look at Andruw Jones at 24: .251/.312/.461, or Dale Murphy at 25: .247/.325/.390 with 80 RP in 104 games. By the time the year is over Jeff will be right there, and he’ll have produced 150 runs to boot. Bobby knows what he’s doing, you don’t win 2300+ games in the majors without figuring out a thing or two.

Jeff’s comments came from a very emotional spot, and I’m very glad to see that reaction, because it shows that the guy really cares. I’m sure once his head clears he’ll realize that the Braves were doing what was best for the organization, and he’ll use it as motivation.

8. Greyson says:

Sorry if I’m not as pessimistic as some of you guys here. Maybe I’m the only one with a memory long enough to remember Bobby Cox leading this team to 14 straight division titles. When Bobby gives up on Jeff (or TP for that matter) I’ll be ready to, until then I trust in that man’s judgment.

Beyond that, I’ve seen in Jeff a number of intangibles that just aren’t common throughout the Majors. An amazing arm, clutch hitting, a love for the game, and not to be underestimated is a love for and from his hometown, which is a huge plus in the era of free agency. Perhaps if we treated our stars like they do in Philadelphia we might be able to win a division title or two… but I think I’ll take 14 straight over one or two.

If that is you standard, then there is no room for any discussion. Just watch the games then, Dr. Pangloss.

10. Greyson says:

Oh c’mon, there is certainly room for discussion, which is why I added the second paragraph there. Of course you didn’t seem inclined to discuss the substance of my first post anyways. I pointed out two other young outfielders managed by Bobby who experienced similar struggles at similar points in their careers. They were both able to get through them with the support of their manager, organization, and fans, and turn in a number of All-Star and MVP-caliber years. Your only discussion was that I was optimistic.

While I am a fan who stands by his team, within reason, I understand there are many who need more explanation, which, again, is why I added the second paragraph.

Ultimately, however, I tend to think that players do better with fan support, not derision. Constructive criticism is certainly welcome, and you’ve provided a good share of that at a high quality, but I think you and especially your commenters have gone too far in condemning him as a talentless hack.

11. Kyle says:

I think it’s the vast minority who call him a talentless hack. Rather that he’s a very limited skill player that is more likely suited as a part time player than one to build a franchise around.

Why didn’t you use Dale Murphy’s age 24 season?
    .281/.349/.510
    Or Andruw Jones age 23 season?
    .303/.366/.541

You cherry picked Murph and Andruw’s two worst seasons, that stood out apart as far below the standard they set over previous seasons. Of course, Frenchy has now put up 2+ seasons of that kind of performance, so is it *REALLY* pessimism to look at his record and say that his extremely strong first 250 at-bats were the outlier of his true talent, rather than the approximately 1750 at-bats that followed? There’s a point where you just accept that this guy is more Kevin Maas than Adam Dunn.

12. Greyson says:

Okay, first off you start by saying you aren’t calling him a talentless hack (and it is a minority, I agree, a very vocal one,) but then you drop a Kevin Maas reference! Talk about talentless hacks.

Valid points otherwise though, I think they show where we differ. I’d take Frenchie’s 2007 season every year if that’s all he has to offer. Deserving Gold Glove defense, and 170 Runs Produced from a guy who’ll go out there everyday and usually deliver when it really counts. This season he’s clearly hit a rocky patch, which obviously means he needs to make some adjustments to make the bounce back that Andruw and Dale both made. That’s why I chose those two seasons (Dale’s 25 year was also his 4th real season like Jeff, and Andruw was at the same age,) to show that great players can have awful years and still bounce back (Dale won the next two MVP awards after that ’81 stinkfest.)

Since you brought him up, Adam Dunn’s ’03 numbers aren’t far off from Frenchy’s ’08 season so far, and his ’05 and ’06 numbers aren’t any better than Frenchy’s ’07 campaign… not to mention Dunn’s ’08 stats aren’t head and shoulders above Frenchy’s either. But I wouldn’t give up on the Donkey quite yet either.

I’ll agree we shouldn’t be building the entire franchise around Jeff, and I don’t think we are (marketing campaigns not withstanding,) but until he shows he can’t adjust I think it’s safe to pencil him in as our starting Right Fielder for the next few years if not longer.