Name the Gwinnett Braves Mascot

The always objective Gwinnett Daily Post has joined forces with the Gwinnett Braves to host a naming contest for the team’s new mascot.

Mascot

Inspired by General Beauregard Lee, the well-known weather forecaster that makes his home at the Yellow River Game Ranch in Lilburn, the fuzzy, burrowing rodent was the first choice for the face of Gwinnett’s own minor league team.

A burrowing rodent from Liliburn could also describe Gwinnett commissioner Bert Nasuti.

“We’re pretty pleased to be able to deliver something that has some local ties,” Gwinnett Braves assistant general manager Toby Wyman said.

You know, because when I think Gwinnett County, I think…groundhog? I was hoping for twin water towers. “Mommy, take my picture with Gwinnett is Great. Oh wait, here comes Success Lives Here!”

Water Towers

Wyman said the Gwinnett community didn’t have an opportunity to name the team, as communities typically do when getting a minor league organization, but naming the mascot may be the next best thing.

They also didn’t have a chance to vote on or even discuss transferring tax dollars to Liberty Media shareholders. But hey, you get to name a groundhog! Let’s call it even.

I’d like to host an alternate naming contest. It has to be a name that describes the actions employed by the Board of Commissioners to get the team. Something like Grafty the Groundhog, but not quite so lame. Please submit your ideas in the comments.

The winner gets a signed copy of The Baseball Economist. Submissions must be received by August 27, and I will announce the winner on September 1 (these dates are the same as the real contest). I am the sole judge of the winner, but I may seek the opinions of friends. I reserve the rights to change contest rules—including suspending the contest—and deny participation to anyone. I don’t foresee a problem, but I’m just saying.

If you want to submit an entry to the official contest (not my contest), follow these instructions.

Contest entries can be submitted online at www.gwinnettdailypost.com or by mail through Aug. 27. Three finalists will be selected by a panel of Atlanta and Gwinnett Braves staff members and announced Sept. 1. An online poll will then be conducted to determine the winning name, and voting will conclude Sept. 5.

And check out the prize.

The winning name, along with the mascot, will be disclosed later in September, and the contest winner will receive a trip for two to the 2009 Triple-A All-Star game in Portland, Ore.

Sweet, a free trip to Powell’s.

14 Responses “Name the Gwinnett Braves Mascot”

1. Jason S. says:

Wow.  Just when I hoped that Gwinnett Braves had reached rock bottom they find a way to go even lower.   I was going to say that it’s the worst mascot I’ve ever seen, but actually the infamous Atlanta Olympic mascot Izzie was worse.   The name I can think of would force you to edit or ban my post, so I’ll refrain from further comment.

2. Rick says:

To keep with the theme
    Grifter the Groundhog
    Over Development the Groundhog-OD for short

The other one I have that starts with a G isn’t polite

3. Phil says:

Shouldn’t it be “Gwafty the Gwoundhog?”  And “Gwinnett is Gweat!”?

4. Johnny C says:

I say the team needs a branding overhaul.  Out goes the rodent logo and in comes the Rich Uncle Pennybags logo from the “Pay Poor Tax of $15″ card in Monopoly.  You know, the image with Rich Uncle Pennybags with hands spread apart and pockets pulled out (and empty).  Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome your Gwinnett Fiscally Irresponsibles!

5. Ken Houghton says:

There has to be a way to do something with those BUCK teeth, but U Wisconsin fen use the obvious…

At least it will make Gwinnett known as something other than a speed trap.  Though I rather prefer nobler pretensions for taxing dollars out of pockets.

6. Cliff says:

Shadow.

His obsession is in trying to decide if there are shadows or not.

Whenever the sunlight is coming, he runs for cover and stays there.

7. Rick says:

Just read the post again. Burrowing rodent seems to be an apt way to describe the Gwinnett commissioners.
    If only there were another rodent to name the stupid groundhog for.
    They should call it Mr. Spackler and be done with it.

8. Jason W says:

If you’re not married to the imagery they provide, how about Oscar the Ostrich? When anything dangerous — such as an overinquisitive reporter — comes by, he just buries his head in the sand and insists everything’s fine.

9. David says:

If they didn’t have to compete with AAA Durham, Gully the Bull would have been a good one.

10. David says:

For the record, I’m really going to miss Diamond Duck.

11. Johnny C says:

Rob G. Groundhog.  The middle initial stands for Gwinnett.  Don’t forget his sister Connie.  She goes by “Con” for short.  I also like Saemus b/c you can morph it to “Shameful”.  Shameful Groundhog has a nice ring to it. Let’s do our best to make one of these names stick.

12. J. McCann says:

Maybe not a precisely accurate portrayal of everyone involved, but captures the attitude, I think:

Gwinnett Gimmee Gimmee’s

13. Bruce says:

Well, playing off it’s noted inspiration, how about General Gimme? Also he seems to have a glint in his eye that looks a bit devilish, so how about putting a bat in his right hand and a taxpayer in the glove to get whacked or perhaps a fistful of money?

14. phillip biller says:

the new mascot should be called SKREY pronounced   scary  but accent onthe last   sylable   SK   REY.   Go braves