DC Bleg, Affeldt, and Gregg

I didn’t mean for that to rhyme. Anyway, I’m heading to Washington, DC for a conference later this week, and I’m looking for restaurant suggestions. I feel odd asking for advice about a city where I used to live, but it’s been so long and the city is so big. I’d appreciate any suggestions. I’m staying near the MCI Center and looking for breakfast, lunch, and dinner recommendations. I don’t mind catching the Metro to find a good place.

Preparing for the conference is one of the things that has been slowing me down. But, let me analyze a recent trade and signing.

— Yesterday, the Giants signed Jeremy Affeldt to a two-year $8 million deal. Based on his performance over the past two years—I normally go back three, but two seems more appropriate here—I have him projecting a value of about $4.5 million/year. I normally don’t like big-dollar reliever contracts, but this one seems spot on.

— Last week, the Marlins traded Kevin Gregg to the Cubs for minor-league pitcher Jose Ceda. I have Gregg valued similar to Affeldt, and Ceda had good numbers in High-A and Double-A last year. The problem for the Cubs is that Affeldt is only under their control for one more season, during which he’ll earn $1-2 million less than his value. Valuing Ceda is difficult, but I have been working on a method for valuing prospects, and the expected value for players similar to Ceda is around $2 million. If he has a significant major-league career, he’ll be worth much more, but there is a high probability that he will wash out. So, this seems like a decent deal for both teams, and it makes sense given the team’s operating strategies. The cost-conscious Marlins are willing to take a risk on a potential high long-term payout, and the Cubs want a certain payout now.

12 Responses “DC Bleg, Affeldt, and Gregg”

1. Erich says:

Haha.  It has been a while since you were here.  The “MCI Center” is no longer, as it’s been the Verizon Center for a number of years!  Walkable from where you’ll be are three gems:  Acadiana (southern/cajun) just off of 9th and New York Ave; Corduroy (New American), on 9th Street near the convention center; and Zatinya (Mediterranean, small plates), on 9th Street.  All are excellent dinner choices.  For lunch, you really have to try Chinatown Express on 6th Street, just south of H and very close to where you’ll be staying.  You’ll know it by the ducks hanging in the window.  Best noodles I’ve found in the city and a great lunch deal to boot.  Not sure how long you are going to be in town, but Matchbox, on H Street, is decent for a beer and a quick bite; Nando’s Peri-Peri on 7th is a good lunch spot; and Ella’s Wood Fired Pizza has one of the best happy hours in the ‘hood, and would be a good lunch choice as well.  You’ll have to get breakfast options from some other folks, especially since they took our Waffle Shoppe away.

If you are only here for a couple/few days, you can eat VERY well w/o leaving the neighborhood.  Enjoy!

2. Brian says:

Being near the MCI Center opens up a whole slew of lunch/dinner options. Depending upon how much you want to spend, there are choice within walking distance.

The Penn Quarter neighborhood is only a few blocks away and it has: Cafe Atlantico (http://www.cafeatlantico.com/),  District Chophouse [steakhouse] (http://www.chophouse.com/LocationHome.php?FKLocationID=10092), a tapas place called Jaleo (http://www.jaleo.com/downtown.htm), Rosa Mexicano (http://www.rosamexicano.info/servlet/locations/wdctp), and Indian food at Rasika (http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/).

It’s not in Penn Quarter but Matchbox (http://www.matchboxdc.com/) is an upscale pizza place.

I like RFD, a bar with a large choice of beer (http://www.lovethebeer.com/rfd.html)

3. AMusingFool says:

So, what sorts of food do you like (so recommendations can be a bit tailored)?

Thanks! These are great.

I like all types of food. I know that’s not much help, but I’m really not picky. I just like new and interesting.

5. Matt C. says:

Ah-Southern Economic Association meeting eh?

Here are a few:
    Old Ebbitt Grill-15th St
    Georgia Brown’s (Southern/Lousiana Style)-15th St.
    Chop House on 7th St.
    Ella’s (Pizza Place), McCormick and Schmicks (Seafood), Gordon Biersch (Brewery/Restaurant), near The International Spy Museum.
    Matchbox (Pizza)-7th and G (?) I think
    The Dubliner and Irish Times, (Yes, two Irish Pub’s right next to each other. I prefer the Dubliner) They are right off North Capitol a block or so away from Union Station. I wouldn’t go to the Times for a nice quiet sitdown dinner.
    Capitol Grille, a chain as well, which is right off of Pennsylvania Ave. but you can’t beat the food.
    If you want to smoke a few Cigar’s there Shelly’s Back Room off F St a couple blocks from Metro Center
    Sequoia is in Georgetown right on the water, it will be a little cold to sit outside, but it’s not a bad place inside either

Hope these help

6. Steven says:

In order for dinner I would say:
    1. Rasika
    2. Jaleo
    3. Zatinya

There is no such thing as good pizza in DC. Forgive those who recommend it. They know not what they do.

7. Matthew Knight says:

If you’re looking for something different there is a great Burmese restaurant in Silver Spring called Mandalay (http://www.mandalayrestaurantcafe.com/), just a couple block walk from the metro station. Full disclosure: I used to work there, but only because I went so much I got to know the owners and so I started working when they needed more wait staff.

8. JR says:

Gotta go to Central, 10 & Penn, and Matchbox, 7 & H. If you’re looking for Thai, try Rice, 14th & R (green line metro to U St). Skip Clyde’s in Chinatown. For drinking – Dan’s Cafe on 18th in Adams Morgan (bring cash and an appetite for destruction) or Stetson’s, 16th & U.

As far as I’m aware, DC has no Greeks and therefore no good diner breakfasts, and the federal employees don’t get up early enough for breakfast anyway.

9. JR says:

Matchbox, though not traditional NY pizza, is still great pizza.

10. Cliff says:

At least one Greek family had a restaurant in DC.  Family name, Coroneos.  My father was in WW II with “Tassi” and the next generation had taken over the restaurant in the 70’s.  Plus, I went to law school with a guy from DC who was half Greek, so there must be a few around.

11. Millsy says:

I’m told Clyde’s is a very nice place with some good food.  Though I’m from the DC area, I haven’t tried it.  There’s always places you can find just walking around Georgetown if you get down that way, but Clydes is right by the Verizon Center.

12. Loweeel says:

JC — right by the Verizon center is RFD, one of the better beer bars in DC.  It’s the younger sibling of the famous Brickskellar, by Dupont Circle.

If you’re a burger aficionado, it’s worth the trip to Virginia to hit up Ray’s Hell-Burger, between Courthouse and Rosslyn on the Orange Line (Rosslyn is also served by the blue).   Just google it — the burgers are fantastic (though the cooking doneness is sometimes a bit uneven), and the quality of the meat is unparalleled for the $7 base, 10oz prime burger.  Most toppings aside from cheese, which can range from $1 to $5 supergourmet cheese are free — aside from foie gras and white truffle oil, which are also available.  It’s a few doors down from the best value steak meal (sides free, reasonable wine list) in the DC area — Ray’s The Steaks, with the same ownership.  Neither takes reservations or has its own website (though The Steaks takes in-person reservations starting at 4pm each day).

For Brunch, I am again a big fan of Virginia.  Harry’s Tap Room in Clarendon (orange line) has an amazing, reasonably-priced brunch as well.  There are probably more good substitutes in DC for Harrys than there are for Ray’s.

But for more professional guides, check out seriouseats.com, dcfoodies.com, and a hamburger today (aht.seriouseats.com).

Don’t even try pizza or bagels — it’s all crap here.